AMERICA IS HARD TO SEE, Whitney Museum -Review by Artist- Part One

This review has two parts, first is this review of Whitney Museum of American Art.
The second part will be a review of the current exhibition, AMERICA IS HARD TO SEE.



So here,  finally I have made it to renewed Whitney Museum of American Art.
And not just one day, but two days in a row.

I came once first day in afternoon, second day on Friday at night.
AMERICA IS HARD TO SEE is a current exhibition on view through September 27, 2015.

I heard that it was so crowded since the opening day to see any artwork but massive people. 
Lucky that my both visit were pleasant with less people than I imagined.

The new building became one of my most favorite museum architecture in NYC. 
It has 8 floors, and from 8 to 5 floors are their main exhibition floors.
So considering the exhibition space, I would say it is almost competitive size to the MoMA in terms of the floors that we actually get to see artworks. 
However, their ceilings are high, and I thought interior is almost same size but now thinking back I feel maybe larger?

They, however, have outdoor space in different floors (they call it outdoor gallery) that are connected with stairs that we can walk down or up outside the building to another level. 

 It must be a great honor to be displayed own work for a contemporary artist in US.
The view from Whitney 8th floor outdoor

Although I am not a fun of new grey buildings, this Whitney Museum is different. 
It is a building of windows. 
Additionally, how cool is that they open until 10 PM on every Thursday - Saturday. 
Fridays at Whitney is pay what you wish after 7 PM.



Whitney by day

Whitney by night



At night almost 10 PM



As mentioned in the beginning, 
the second part of this review will be about the current exhibition, AMERICA IS HARD TO SEE.

99 Gansevoort Street
New York, NY 10014
(212) 570-3600

Short Note:
I watched the film Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009) by Wes Anderson last night, while cleaning my work space. I love all his movies. 
Mr. Fox reminded me of my after school English teacher of my Junior High School period. While watching the film, I also thought of the person who introduced me to the world of Wes Anderson was an artist living in Brooklyn. I wonder what he is doing lately. Only thing I know is that probably he moved out the place he was living for over 10 years. 
Life in Brooklyn is changing rapidly.

Comments