Midsummer Daydream / Intermission


I had a daydream about a gethering of flamingos today. I don't know if it was long or short. Only thing I remember is that the pink and the muddy green contrast and reflections of the sunshine, and that flamingos do not look like flamingo when they are flying the sky.

Have I told you why I am interested in birds and invite them to appear in my work?


I feel that the summer is singing. The sun is different, streets are different, lights are sharper, many insects are coming back, but I do not hear cicadas. Summer is a season I would rather go out than stay in (Yes I mean when I'm not painting) but if I stayed inside, a movie theatre would be the best place..., besides used book stores and coffee houses and aquariums and planetariums and museums and so on.



One movie I would recommend right now at theatre, if you are reading this in July 2019, is Midsommar. Although I do not watch horror movies, this movie caught my attention with its title and the trailer, which somehow reminded me of the Virgin Suicide. But the actual movie was nothing like kind of horror movie I despite, nor the Virgin Suicide.

My friend pointed out that one painting in Dani (main character)'s room was by Mu Pan, I didn't notice it because so many things that bothered my mind in the film from the beginning. Now that thinking back I think I saw it there in her room.
I would say they needed more time to explain and share some memories about the main character's family relationships better in the beginning, but well, it would have made it longer when it is already long enough.
Some key words to engage the film better: 
Midsummer (Midsommar), Juxtaposition, Solstice, Visual art, Pagan, Illusion

Off theatre, I also watched "Wicker Park"(2014 by Paul McGuigan) and "Girl with a Pearl Earring"(2003, by Peter Webber) , and "Lovelace" (2013 by Rob Epstein, Jeffrey Friedman), and a few other films in the past few days. Wicker Park was a nice one although I did not know anythinb about it, even the title, until I saw the film. I would love to watch it again some day.


I just watched the indie movie I have been longing to check out: "Shirley - Visions of Reality" by Gustav Deutsch. It's a boring movie even for me, but it is a great movie. I liked it. I can tell as an artist that the people who made the movie, the movie set, people who shot the film, people who acted acted, had the most joy and satisfaction. Like other his films it is experimental, more like art. It is not a movie for entertainment, and it is not a movie that make me excited to watch, in fact it makes me feel sleepy from time, and it is hard to be concentrated all the time, although we have to to hear what the woman is saying and understand what is happening. but I think it is a movie the director intended to make it something they need to repeat if to have decent understanding. They have took quite good time to recreate the sets and they were probably spending time and effort lavishly to create this in such quality like little older time. That is reflected to the vibe of the film to me, and that's perfect vibe for the film. I know I will watch at least a few times more. The quality of the recreation of the paintings in this film is also remarkable. Gustav Deutsch is an Austrian experimental film and artist. 

Surprisingly to me, while I was painting my progress work "Intermission", I saw this film Shirley - Visions of Reality, and there were intermissions in the film also.
An Intermission, progress painting on canvas, 2019

What you see is what you see, but you are seeing what you are not seen also at the same time. We just tend to forget that every time when we need to remember it. 

But if we didn't try to see what we can see right now, how are we going to see what we are not seeing?


The world looks so much different when we move just little or far away from our home.
Even the lights look different, and even air feels different.


We are still on the same planet,
and it teaches me so many things everyday.
I hope that you will see and feel what I am learning from our place in the most beautiful way in my work.