Something "Instant" and Bruce Nauman "Disappearing Acts" MoMA Museum | ENG

All fake flowers on real soil.





















The other day, I heard someone described meaning of "Instant" of Instant Camera that
"Instant means you have to wait." -Unknown
「インスタントとは、少しの間、待たないといけないと言う事だよ。」

I really like this words that I heard in a conversation of strangers when I was with my instant camera. 
It is just so true. You have to wait for a bit, otherwise what you will see in your hands is only blank white.

                                  ____________________________________________

This past Tuesday morning, I went to MoMA Museum and saw the Bruce Nauman "Disappearing Acts" for the second time.
I took some photos of works to share in this, four main works (I thought they were main works when I visited for the first time) I do not have all work here, as I did not take any photos this time. As a second time visitor I found more interest in other works. All works I did not take photos at my first visit are here (well actually there is one work that I took at the both visit).

There are so much more work that is not featured in this blog. It is worth a visit to check out if you have not yet already. Probably those are the ones you also remember well if you already visited or the one that took photos of.

The show is on view until February 25, 2019. This time I found that there are also new additions(?) at permanent collection (I believe they are permanent) that I haven't seen before at MoMA, so it really worth to visit and check out their collections.

Why did I came twice? I actually just went in to quickly see the lovely Water Lilies painting by Claude Monet painting. There are always so many weeds and flowers in a museum but they are never too many.




A Quote about Bruce Nauman Exhibition from MoMA official website:

“I’ve always had overlapping ways of going about my work,” Bruce Nauman once remarked. “I’ve never been able to stick to one thing.” For more than 50 years, he has worked in every conceivable artistic medium, dissolving established genres and inventing new ones in the process. His expanded notion of sculpture admits wax casts and neon signs, bodily contortions and immersive video environments. Coming of age amid the political and social upheavals of the 1960s, Nauman never adhered to rigid distinctions between the arts, but rather has staked his career on “investigating the possibilities of what art may be.”

To read full writing you can visit here.



The Entrance and the texts on wall...




As always this is my personal record of visited exhibition. It is mostly photos of works and texts from the exhibition, rather than my review. For you as a royal visitor of my blog, you can see an exhibition from another living artist's perspective. 



Some of the works and texts from the first room...












Some of the works and texts from the second room and the rest of rooms....

















What I see in his work is his outstanding experimental spirit that lead him to discover the right way to execute his ideas, interests, and thoughts using different materials and objects as tools. I feel that his work, as a  visual language, is very successful in result that they communicate with audience quite accurately.


Uonfunctional chairs




This kind of work is difficult to know how close I am allowed to be. There is no wire or mark on floor. The rule is that you can get close until right before you feel the security get closer to you. 



View from right side of the model

View from right side of the model

View from front of the model, the right end is closed.


The right side of the model is closed and does not take in any light. The drawing below looks like about the model above but in this drawing four ways are open. 





The note says something like "you have to ask the museum employee to open the door, and there is only one person allowed per hour that can go in to this door."




This is my personal favorite piece made with cardboard.



Work and texts from Last room...


each plate make sound like speaker and different individuals' voices speak. The structure is very simple. It is like paper cup with string. Each voice in different gender and age repeats "Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday...."



And one more set work at right outside the exhibition space that I did not realize first time...












I will include two additional works from different artists to end this blog. 

In 1939, Edward Hopper painted "New York Moves",  and same year Frida Kahlo added mirror with painted mirror frame to her portrait painting "Fulang-Chang and I"(1937).
Each artist lives and has lived in different experiences and encounters and such unique conditions have made them create unique works. Often we find works from different artists from same year at a  same museum.

I wonder if it is good or bad, but it is not really about good or bad. 
We could read something by looking at many works by artists. But not always those artists shares something when they made the works. 
Sometime I feel that museums are very unusual, surreal space.