"Cat is quite a powerful symbol" EN



I made a little gif (at the bottom of this post) from pictures I took for record of under painting for a new window painting which I started to work on after open studio.

-"Cat is quite a powerful symbol."
-"Yes, my cats screw it."

Two nights ago in my studio, I was working on this piece's underpainting and I had an oversea discussion about using a cat in artwork with a friend who just recently left New York :'( to Europe. I brought the topic in our conversation as I usually do. (I have a few wonderful friends who don't get bored with my brain and give me great responses.) At that time when we started to talk, the painting still looked like just rough blocks of random shapes in earth tones, but it reminded him of Morandi (which is one of my favorite painters).
When he saw the cat in the picture I shared, he said "Ha the Cat", and that was a perfect trigger,
for this topic to bloom between us.




Cat has a very strong symbolic meaning especially as an image. In almost every country that cats live, they are also present as a symbol.



Using a cat is a cliche, but that is a playground that we have so much freedom to dance around.
But my interest is in even further the given freedom. I am also looking for a new way, a new role and meaning that cats and any other cliches would have in my work.

Sometimes it is important to be brave and unapologetic and use the language and images that people avoid because it is a cliche or an obvious thing.

 Send an e-mail and subscrbe for news letter


This painting is still in a very first stage of work in progress stage. I hope you will keep checking out how it will become a complete piece... The cat may stay, or might be gone.