Atelier Talk: January Studio Update 2023

"A Window In A Window" Underpainting, Oil on Canvas, 8"x10", 2023


It's about two weeks since the new year started. How are you doing so far?

I'm someone who prefers 'new years resolutions' to be kept private as most of them are personal, but I have been doing well so far with them. 

One thing I mentioned in public to do this year is to send out a monthly atelier newsletter with my art updates. You can subscribe to it here.


Underpainting (partial view), Oil on Canvas, 9"x6", 2023


This year I am continuously working on my window series "Mado: Window Mereology" and self-portraits along with other works. Last year for me was a lot of self reflection with challenges in my personal life..., and with that I believe a growth in my inner self. If I am successful you will see some change in my work in the same subjects this year.

Please look forward to what I will be making as I am also looking forward to seeing what I will be able to create and share with you. 

The first image is one of paintings I just started underpainting last night. This is one of many ideas I wanted to paint in my window series. I am pleased that I am finally making the first small piece that reflects my mind.



Untitled (Window with A Cat and Vases), 
Oil on Canvas, 6"x4", 2023



Untitled (Window with A Cat and Vases), 
Oil on Canvas, 6"x4", 2023
A cat can be inside and outside of a window. 
This window is inspired by an old photo of a window. Sometimes I like to invite something from the history/made in the past that caught my heart to create a new work. 

Untitled (Square Window with Red Flowers), 
Oil on Canvas, 5"x5", 2023

Untitled (Square Window with Red Flowers), 
Oil on Canvas, 5"x5", 2023

This window I also tried two things I wanted to include in my window which are the reflections and flowers in vase(s) outside the window which we see a lot in old architectures of Europe. Because it is a painting, Sometimes my window is better without the reflections but for this piece I am happy how it captures the inside and outside of the window simultaneously. The red flowers look very inviting while at the same time they are gentle veils.


The White Horse, Pencil Graphite Sketch, January 2023

A few days ago my friend in Mexico wrote me lovely messages and I was looking back at a few pictures of us, me and this beautiful horse I rode in Cancun outside a Cenote. 



Pencil Sketch on Paper, January 2023













Comments