Exhibition Archive: "Art and Race Matters: The Career of Robert Colescott", The New Museum

 

A few artists have been mentioning/suggesting that I check out this show and I made it right before they closed.

My friend's friend was once in the same class(perhaps painting as they are both painters) with Robert Colescott and she later told my friend something like that she liked him, he is such a sweet/wonderful person but she did not like his work." If she liked his art or not is not the point I want to mention but that it very often happens that the art and the artist always aren't together and have distance to those who see. (cannot think of a perfect word to explain this). it (the gap) can also be about when you met the artist, how much you know about the artist etc. 

Quite often there are gaps between an artwork and artist, do you know why? I prefer these archives with less writing so I won't write here my personal view on this but we can talk in person if anyone is interested. 

Many artwork I fell in love with were made by an already dead artist when I met their work. I don't think I can count how many times I felt sad that there is no way to hear an answer to a question in my heart. 

But so how fortunate for us to live this generation and being able to get to meet some of the living artists who created the art.

Probably that will change how we see their art too, what we 'can' see changes by what we know. 

That has been said, I do believe that a successful artwork will live its own life after being created by an artist and is no longer fully under control of the artist. 

Opposite things can also happen, like when I met Yoko Ono in person a few years ago, the way I see her work before and after somewhat changed. 


ART AND RACE MATTERS: THE CAREER OF ROBERT COLESCOTT

06/30/22-10/09/22





















































































































Comments