Exhibition On View: GRISTLE GALLERY "THICKET"




Dear friends,

I am pleased to announce that I will be part of the exhibition "Thicket" which just opened at Gristle Gallery in Williamsburg, Brooklyn NY.

The concept of the exhibition was "a visual love letter to the forest". When I received an invitation to this exhibition a few months ago, I immediately thought of a few progress pieces in my studio that could fit the exhibition theme and still very unique works of mine. I am pleased to share with you the latest four paintings of mine that are included in this exhibition.
(For any inquiries for my work in this exhibition please contact the gallery or you can contact me and I will connect you to the gallery: gallery@gristletattoo.com )



I started to paint specimens as they caught my curiosity after I moved to the United States. As my interest is around human nature, I started to see humans around insects not in the wild, but when they are in the form of specimens.
When I was in Japan I saw many insects but have never seen a specimen. Here in the US, it is more common to see them. Regardless, I think it's one of human nature that we want to reach our hands to something we feel beautiful and precious. We want to collect something that we feel is special. We want to preserve them, we want to study...learn about them, we want to observe them.





"A Jewel Scarab Specimen"
Oil on Canvas, 4"x4"x3/4", 2015-2022
This Jewel Scarab is frm a forest in Costa Rica.





"A Butterfly Landing"
Oil on Wood, 7"x5"x1/4", 2022
This butterfly is has a body of half male and hald female.






"A Ghost Cicada Specmen"
Oil on Canvas Panel, 6"x6"x1/4", 2015-2022
This Cicada is from Mossy Forest in Cameron Highland in Malaysia.




**This is actually an older image I shot while still in progress.**

I will update the finished image soon. Meanwhile you can see the finished piece in the picture below. 




"A Flower Mantis Specimen"
Also from Malaysia but this one was
Oil on Wood, 6"x6"x3/4", 2015-2022
This mantis is also called 'Jeweled' flower mantis, I like many insects in the forest that are called by the word Jewel. I think that is how we see and feel about them besides some fears etc to the forest.



Everything happens for love,

Love causes everything.

I cannot remember where I saw this phrase, but in a way I agree.
If we want to understand why something is happening, maybe it is time to see what kind of love is causing it to be happening now. That may help to embrace the something, understand the something better, or to solve the something.



Comments