Atelier Talk: Superstition and Jinx and Prediction

*Except the last line of this blog, all writing in this blog is written sometime in March, 
and "today" or "yesterday" is not actual today or tomorrow or yesterday now.*

Hello and happy March everyone. I hope March is treating you well so far.

In Tokyo, some type of cherry blossoms already started to bloom.
I don't think we are having Ohanami there this year.

Do you believe in superstitions?

I do for some of them.


Untitled (for now), my new window painting, oil on canvas, 2020.
Actual painting is in color, I took this b/w image to see the value.
I am very excited for this piece.

Superstitions (迷信)..., well actually this is more about Jinx (ジンクス)
I like the sound of the word jinx than superstitions, but they are both equally interesting.

There are many of them, not all I know or I believe but I like that they exists. I like to imagine how one superstition is born. I like that many of them belong to the specific place, but some of them are shared worldly. Although I am not deeply for any of them, maybe that is why I like them.

So, I recently moved to a new place in Brooklyn and I really like that the life people who I live with are having there is slightly behind today here in NYC for some face but also advanced for other part. It reminds me of Japan that we have washing machine at home. There is TV that plays Japanese channel timely, not recorded old shows. They still use CD player in stead of something else.

There is one thing that I have been blindly wondering that there is something off about the place. I mean about my room, the room is perfect with morning sun light, but I was feeling something is off, or that I am not used to. 
The other morning in my dream before I completely wake up, I found it out that "maybe the direction of the bed".
When I woke up I checked the direction of pillows with my phone app, and it was almost north pillow (was slightly off though from perfect north).

We say in Japan (this superstition originally comes from Buddhism from India I think). So as a lazy yet spontaneous human, I just switched my pillow towards South.

This morning was the first morning waking up in this setting and the direction of sun that woke me up felt right and it made me feel good. 

Anyway that was a small thing inside me I was trying to find out this past month. It takes time to find such small detail that makes us uncomfortable because when we are the only one who is feeling that way. 
Now I think it is solved and the sun greets me from the right way.

-----

(this is note from about 1~2 days ago)

I met many people last night.
I think it was dreams because it did not happen yesterday.
It is weird because I can only remember very small part and even that part is unclear.
Usually my dream stays in my mind clearly, or not at all.
And I was thinking about my brother and his wife this morning when I woke us for about 15 minutes, and that is now merging and the border of dream and here (the reality) seems lost and not existing.

--------

Untitled, underpainting progress piece, oil on wood panel, 2020
----

This year I am changing my work environment in my art studio. I'm thinking to go back to analogue, by eliminating the time to look at any digital screen, including laptop, phone, and iPod (yes I still use it).
No more movies or videos in studio.

I was always fascinated by Records but I grew up in CD generation. 
I am also iPod generation and I still like them the idea that I separate my music from phone. But CD is different in another scale.

In my studio I listen to radio also but having CDs can keep it more controled environment on what will be played. I listen to various kind music but for studio I prefer slightly boring music, voice less music, that keep my studio with noise but also won't take me to another place. I prefer mostly jazz and some classic music. Frédéric Chopin is wonderful too from time to time,  but I always like Claude Debussy.

Studio sound is very important to me. I just need to know what works for my sense. Thankfully I am someone who can listen to same music for thousand times if I like them.

What is great about one CD or Record that has specific songs or music stored on the disk. You pick one CD, and the CD player will play the specific songs for you. It is simple and nothing more or less.

Such simpleness appears to me beautiful and intelligent more than something that is being high tech and or convenient.
To me, quality that make one thing superior than the other things is about whether if it will make me do high performance or not. It is not really simply about the object's ability itself. Digital screen, in this case, takes my time away while I stare at it. 

-----
Untitled (for now), progress painting in another angle.  

---

Tonight I am wondering when was my first rose bush.

Tonight I know when I will wake up next morning, the sun will greet me from the right angle.

I believe about something once someone said to me about themselves, becoming to used to be alone is not good for you. You build too much own world and pace and small rules that when you want to go back to be with someone you have to lose or adjust so much.
I learn so many things from people who relate to me, as much as books I read.

----

As an artist who paints window observe always windows from street day and night

I wonder how people feel and how it affects people living in purple light, in orange light, in magenta light, in blue light...of a bed room or kitchen. There are actually quite many people who really live in a room with such lighting.

--------


It is 3/11 today, and it has been 9 years from 2011, but I still don't feel like talking about it as a past event.


You might have some time to walk around my past blog posts.., since many things has been shut out and canceled.


I think March has been crazy for many people, but we are all still here together.
Still, this is kind of moment I physically feel far away from my friends and family in my hometown the most.

Comments