Bird Toy with Mirrors | Exhibition Reviews: Recent Art Openings in NYC Sept.-Oct. 2019

R. B. A. : Exhibition Photos From Recent Openings from Team Gallery, Last Rites Gallery, Dacia Gallery...



A Rainy Day in Soho

Do you know why I am scared of umbrellas?

I like the air of city after raining. I like that I can feel the water in the air is filling my body absorbed from my lungs and from my skin.


It is different from the sensations when we are underwater, but it makes me feel that my body is communicating with the water, with the air, with the outside which is.. in the end, also inside.

Inside and outside should be the same, they should be carrying the same quality, should carry the same energy, same elements in some level, for both of them to be existing.

After knowing this, we can see something that is not loud and or visible about things around us.
It might not be equal but there are at least same amount of information on an object or on an artwork, on news paper, on facial expression of someone in front of us, that we can analyze and feel from the signs and clues and details that are visible.

How far can we see what we do not see there? without any drug, without anything from outside?

And you know, those what we can see, we need to be careful treating because it is probably of someone else's, but those who you analyze and what you feel, it is your own treasure that you can share with the world, in forms of your choice.

Learning and exploring art is also about learning about life, learning about how society works, what in our life could be improved, learning how to love, learning to discuss, elearning about economy, learning about independence and dependence, learning to express, but most importantly, learning how we are connected, and learning fudamental rules of the world that are forming the planet.


Window with Blind 1/2 Oil on wood panel 2017
From my diptych painting "Bird Flight 2/2"
One of the paintings I show in the solo exhibition "Don't take me to the moon" in Tokyo, Japan 2017.

----

From not as many as I wished to but a few galleries I could visit this past weeks, I somehow made it to the Team Gallery two weeks in a row. One day I saw the exhibition "Paintings" by Egan Frantz, after I visited the Hannah Wilke's exhibition at Ronald Feldman Gallery.



Egan Frantz at Team Gallery

Egan Frantz at Team Gallery

Egan Frantz at Team Gallery



Egan Frantz at Team Gallery


Egan Frantz at Team Gallery

Egan Frantz at Team Gallery

Egan Frantz at Team Gallery

Egan Frantz at Team Gallery

Paintings by Egan Frantz and a stranger

Paintings by Egan Frantz

Then following week on Thursday, I was able to stop by at their openig reception of current show on Thursday.  Collin Leitch "Camera Rider" and Tyler Dobson "To Two Too". I loved paired paintings of Tyler Dobson, as well as the exhibition title "To Two Too".  It is on view from 10, October, 2019 through 9 November, 2019.

It is something that makes me attracted to this gallery that how it has a rich history as a gallery, and it is already a grown up well established gallery, yet still carrying the sense of humor and challening ambition/spirit, and "lab" feeling for being pioneer of producting presentations of new contemporary artists. It's cool don't you think?

I want those paintings bought together as a set by the way.

A few weeks before, I was just reading an aricle/interviewon artnet about how Team Gallery (Mr. Jose Freire) decided to withdraw from all the art fairs for good. (here is the link if you were intetested in: https://news.artnet.com/market/jose-freire-art-fairs-interview-1235624 )

Tyler Dobson at Team Gallery

Tyler Dobson at Team Gallery

Tyler Dobson at Team Gallery

Tyler Dobson at Team Gallery

Tyler Dobson at Team Gallery




A Toy with Mirrors

A few days ago, I gave my bird a new toy.
A toy with small mirrors that can be hanged from the cage ceiling. I was thinking to give a toy with mirror for her for a long time. There are some discussions about affects on birds to have toy that has mirrors that have been making me unsure.

For a few days she was avoiding the new toy staying other half of her cage, which was funny to me  because she immediately loved all toys (well she only has three toys though) I gave her before until this one.

After few days, she finally decided to like her toy just like her other toys.
I know it when she ringed the bell attached to the toy to get my attention.

I wonder how she see herself in the mirror.



"I'm Paul's friend."

It is difficult to know which Paul when someone says "I'm Paul's friend, I think we met before." which I just said tonight. ( Fri. 11 October) It is especially difficult when the person is someone who is surrounded by many people.

It is always after saying such phrase that makes one realize (and regret) that there are numerous Paul in the city. Everyone is perhaps a friend of at least one or two Paul.
I know nobody cares nor remembers but still I think of this with a sense of embarrassment.

I wonder if there is any New Yorker who does not have any friend whose name is Paul.

I wish if I remembered his last name that moment. It is not only Paul though.

I guess everybody is Paul's friend.

I should stop thinking and move on after posting this out.

But before that, can you guess why I was embarrassed without me writing it out here?


Dacia Gallery Opening at 195 Crystie St. 


Some photos from recent Dacia Gallery Opening. 

Vincent Giarrano, Crosby Street at Dacia Gallery


Vincent Giarrano at Dacia Gallery

Vincent Giarrano at Dacia Gallery

Michael Bergt, Girl with Birds at Dacia Gallery

Michael Bergt, Girl with Birds at Dacia Gallery

Michael Bergt, Girl with Birds at Dacia Gallery

Michael Bergt, Girl with Birds at Dacia Gallery

at Dacia Gallery,
Some people I meet in NYC look exactly like this. It's one of those things only in New York City.
People who cannot stop thinking/talking about money. 


Every conversation has to have a conclusion or an ending to start a new conversation even if it is a conversation in one's head.

"I don't know if it's young or if it's immature."

"It is young and immature."



One and only place that I have seen the flyers on Subway as long as since I moved to NYC.
Some photos from recent Last Rites Gallery opening.
Booth Gallery / Last Rites Gallery





Alex Eckman-Lawn, Booth Gallery / Last Rites Gallery

Scott Scheidly, Booth Gallery / Last Rites Gallery


Alessandro Sicioldr, Booth Gallery / Last Rites Gallery

Alessandro Sicioldr, Booth Gallery / Last Rites Gallery



Hannah Jaeun "Trapped in a Nightmare, 2019" 18 x 14", Booth Gallery / Last Rites Gallery


Madeleine Rhondeau, Booth Gallery / Last Rites Gallery

Dos Diablos "La Santa" Oil on board, Booth Gallery / Last Rites Gallery

The biggest typhoon was hitting Japan so hard last night. (last weekend) This kind of moment reminds me and makes me feel like I am in a dark hole or maze.

Or should I say brings me back

When all flights are canceled and no public transportation is working, and it does not matter about my will, there is no way for me to fly back there for any immediate reason.

See,  when something like this happen, something like the natural disasters,  I cannot even fly back immediately because there is no flight in this condition. Some people say it does not matter where you decide to live your life, this is one of a few things I strongly disagree.

To me where we live matters, where we go matters, as a conscious and unconscious choice, and even as something that is given to us with our birth. Where we go in our life, and in our dreams, in our mind, in our conversations...., to me, it matters as much as what we do in our life.

Keep thinking about typhoon for hours while painting at my studio made me feel like the right outside the building was typhoon.



Comments