About An Oil Paint




Whether if it was snow or rain, or full-moon, my studio always takes me to another place.
It makes me happy and take me to another place, when I am laying fresh paints on cleaned palette, or smelling the mixture odor of oil paints, mediums, woods, and canvases. It also makes me happy and it heat up my body and brain... when I am trying on a new paint from its tube.
I am a bit crazy for paints and painting mediums..., and and anything that may make my painting, (I mean who doesn't right?) as perhaps many other artist folks are.





There are so many oil paints manufactures that I love from around the world, like Sennelier from France, M. Graham from USA, Holbein from Japan, and Rembrandt from Holland..., but Gamblin is one of the brands I like, and they are more affordable compared to the other brands I just mentioned.
Gamblin is American art oil paints and mediums manufacture founded in Portland, Oregon, in 1980. I like the stands and and passion and quality they offer with their products, and most of art supply stores in my city carry good collection of their paints.

"At Gamblin, our mission is to lead oil painting and printmaking into the future. To us this means crafting materials as they ought to be, not just as they have been."-Robert Gamblin

From bottom right to top left is my essential palette colors
For me, my essential palette colors changes,
 but I always try to lay as many paints as I have the space and courage.

Many of oil paints manufactures offer more than one line of oil paints. As you can imagine differences are in the cost ( made and offered), and the quality. Most of them are divided as fine or professional grades and a studio or student grade. Gamblin also offers two grades of oil paints one is called Artists Oil Paints, which is the professional or artist grade. There are 1980 Oil Colors, which is their student grade or affordable line.
Gamblin says that their student grade or affordable 1980 series is made with pure pigments, the finest refined linseed oil and marble dust (calcium carbonate), which is different from other manufactures that often use gels and waxes to stiffen colors, and replace the traditional pigments with other low cost ingredients.

Well, that has been said, I still recommend to select artist grade paints, yes, for everyone, student or professional, unless it is a concept to use student grade pigments.
It is because those student grade or affordable paints if compared to original paints clearly lacks its true, original, color.
Gamblin's Artist Grade Oil Colors are less expensive and more affordable than of most of other manufactures.
As I said, I am a little bit crazy for oil paints... so, Gamblin is a great friendly bland for me to try out new and different colors that are not essential colors in my palette.


new colors I tried from Gamblin on in 2016 (except the second left, Phthalo Green).

The top 6 colors (except the radiant violet: second from left) are from the paints in the picture above.

Finally, About One Special Paint from Gamblin....

There is one special paint I am looking for this spring.
Every spring in April, to cerebrate the earth day, they come with a new torrid grey shade of the year. Also it is reminding artists importance of recycling art mediums.
Because every year they make with recycled paints of last year no same torrid grey is made and it is once in a life color. Hoping that one of my local fine art stores will carry them.
I am very excited for this year's torrid grey to come out.


So this ↓ will become ... :)
Image from Gamblin Instagram


that ↓ :o


Image from Gamblin Website

It is one thing to look for in April. April is my birthday.
You can visit here to learn about Gamblin Torrid Grey Paints.