How I Met The Paintings




It has been almost 5 years that artists leave their paintings and their supplies in front of my place anywhere, wherever I have lived in Philadelphia and New York City.
It is not students.., but trained artists who leave their works and supplies of…still very good condition.

This is not the first time.
Once in summer, I was taking care of plants and cat of my friend while they are on travel, and when I back to their home, right next to the traits to the door, there were nearly 60 stretch bars laying. They were heavy duty length ranged from 10 inches to over 50 inches. More than half of them were hand made bars, and there were marks shown that an artist has been caring them and using them again and again, for his/her creation.

This kind of thing has been happening to me quite often until to this day.

Few days ago there was a large plastic bag left at my place, I could tell they were 4 built painting stretch bars. but the canvas was cut off and taken off, and although I though the painting were kept with artist and must not be there, they were in deed rolled-up and felt in the plastic bag together.
I had little hesitation to bring them in for not knowing if they were clean. but the way they were nicely put together in a bag and left there gently, I decided to take them in my place.

I was leaving the bag 2~3 days there on my floor untouched and left the canvas as rolled.
Just by looking the little pieces of canvas with brush strokes on, still attached to the bars, I could easily tell that the painter must be a very talented, well trained one.

Before I open the roll I realized that it is not just paintings for practice. The fabric textured not canvas... but more firm and dry and special…. It was linen.

Maybe it is not that unusual thing at all that these things happen to me constantly.
Maybe artists throw away their master pieces for no reason, daily, in every corner.
After all, Philadelphia and New York City is both city of artists.

But why? why did they need to leave their tools and works?
Have we met? Are they still making? I hope so.

Thinking while staling at new paintings on my wall,  and bars to stretch new canvas on the floor.


Ce est comment je ai rencontré les belles peintures.

Comments