When I Met La Victoire de Samothrace



The most  powerful, mysterious, beautiful marble sculpture on the earth, that I believe must be, amongst others in all the gesture of the action and the form of figure, the size and the fact of missing arms and head.
How gorgeous she is, how special she is, I could not take my eyes or attention off from her, I had to stay there for couple hours, and I even had to go back there very next day, only to see her. 
It was when I first visited Paris France in 2005 when I have met the sculpture in person. She has ruled the entire space' atmosphere and even made me feel she ruled the gravity. 

The Winged Victory of Samothrace, also known as the Nike of SamothraceNike means Victory in Greek. The sculpture has 3. 28m height. It is found in Samothrace Island which is located in the northwest Aegean sea in 1863.  The sculpture is created to honor the Greek goddess, Nike, and also to honor a sea battle. Since 1883, the marble figure has been displayed in the Louvre Museum.



Today we can see the Winged Victory of Samothrace from different perspectives of directions but it was originally created for theatrical purpose to be seen from the three-quarters on the left. Because of that the sculpture is much detailed on the side compared to the other side of her. 

In terms of Nike of Samothrace as a widely known and admired piece of work until today, the time completes her after the artist's hands. The earth blessed her to be in the way she is today with her missing arms and head. I see the two signature on this work, one by the artist and another by the earth.

It is a sculpture that I fell in love with so deep back in 2005, and still today in my heart. 
I wonder when would it be the next time, that I will be able to come back to her again. 

For more about Winged Victory of Samothrace, Visit Louvre Museum Website.




Comments